Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 185
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at email@example.com. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
1) This Fred's Head Companion post lists a lot of sites where you can receive help with homework online:
2) They also tell us about two sites which collect stories for children. The first might bring back memories to some adults too,
since Kiddie Records Weekly is a growing archive of older children's' story records.
You can also check out the podcast of stories from the Denver Public Library for children in grades K-4:
3) The November issue of AccessWorld, the free bi-monthly technology publication from American Foundation for the Blind, is now available, including a review of the KNFB Mobile Reader, a review of the latest version of VoiceOver for the Mac, and more.
4) Speaking of the KNFB Mobile Reader, its price, and the price of the equivalent software package for the learning disabled, have dropped significantly, with the software now costing $995. This program runs on the Nokia N82 phone, which itself costs around $500, bringing the price of a portable reading device down to below $1,500.
5) Tenacity is a company making a product called AccessaPhone which purports to make work phones (not mobile phones) accessible to users with visual and learning disabilities.
6) Serotek has launched SeroTalk, a weekly blog and podcast to be produced by Michael Lauf highlighting the company's solutions to life through technology.
7) Braille Writing: Past and Present will be the topic for Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 25 November at 01:00.
8) Interested users can now test ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 beta, a product which is now quite well regarded and which includes many new features, among them a non-traphical mode for screen reader users.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Tidbits and Flying Blind, LLC E-Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of every E-News titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the tidbits website (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, but I know a lot of people don't understand many of the items because little explanation is given. If a Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I'll answer as time, knowledge and inclination permit.
Visit the Tidbits page at http://www.topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.htm where you can subscribe to the RSS feed and grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
People can subscribe to Tidbits via e-mail: email@example.com (Make sure to get all 4 T's into the address!)
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |