Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 264
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement:
What distinguishes NetECHO from any other web browser today is that it does not require a PC or mobile phone, web browser, or screenreader in order to use the application. Amazed? We were too. To subscribe to the NetECHO service, or to obtain more information about it, including a complete 45 minute audio podcast demonstration of NetEcho given by Flying Blind, LLC founder Larry Lewis, visit us today at www.flying-blind.com.
1) The latest NFB - Technology Resource List is available.
2) Gizmo tells about about Pen Suites, collections of apps run from a "pen" or "thumb" drive. Here are some especially useful collections:
3) The Gizmo team also tells us about A Great Anti-Keylogger for Free
4) Chip Orange has written Window-Eyes scripts for the Windows Speech Recognition module in Windows Vista or Windows 7. These scripts, along with the free WSR macros, have the potential to give Window-Eyes users nearly the same level of hands-free computer control afforded by JSay for JAWS users, but at no cost.
5) FSCast Issue 43 from Freedom Scientific concerns their Vision Awareness Days and the accounting package Accomplish Cashmanager whose developer has worked to ensure its accessibility with JAWS.
6) Serotalk Tech Chat 64 is about What's New in Microsoft Office 2010
7) On SeroTalk Podcast 44 we learn about iOS4 Enhancements, Tech News, and the Latest on Mobile Devices
8) The 30 June 2010 post to the NFB Access Technology Blog gives resources to accompany the Apple Macintosh and Mobile Accessibility sessions at National Convention. The 22 June post gives their impression of IOS4, the latest upgrade to the iPhone.
9) Sendero Group announces Sendero Maps, Accessible Talking Maps for the Windows PC. The program lets you create and follow a route to a destination, exploring intersection by intersection, and learn about millions of points of interest. The program price ranges from $395 to free, depending on what other Sendero programs you have purchased.
10) This archive of some 30 documents contains accessibility guides and research studies from microsoft.com.
11) Victor Reader Stream and SAMNet Content from Serotek will be the topic of a Webinar on GMT Friday, 2 July at 01:00. Stream users can now easily access SamNet content.
12) Reigel Technology offers these $75 trainings, each from 21:00-23:00 GMT on the appointed day: Windows Live, Tuesday, 13 July; Accessible PDF Creation, Tuesday, 27 July; Internet Explorer 8, Thursday, 12 August; NVDA Free Screen Reader, Tuesday 23 August.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at email@example.com. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2010.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |