Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 263
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement:
What distinguishes NetECHO from any other web browser today is that it does not require a PC or mobile phone, web browser, or screenreader in order to use the application. Amazed? We were too. To subscribe to the NetECHO service, or to obtain more information about it, including a complete 45 minute audio podcast demonstration of NetEcho given by Flying Blind, LLC founder Larry Lewis, visit us today at www.flying-blind.com.
1) GW Micro has created BookSense Buddy, a program to make it easy to transfer documents to the BookSense.
2) Jamal Mazrui has converted and assembled a collection of 350 files related to the GNU/Linux operating system and applications. The files are in either html or structured text
3) You can get a thorough VB.net 2008 And Windoweyes Tutorial, again written by Jamal, here
4) Learn about the iPad on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday 29 June at 00:00.
5) Learn about online dating for the blind and low vision and how adaptive technology, such as mobile apps, can help bridge the distance between those in the singles arena on Saturday 26 June at 17:00 GMT. This will be the latest episode of The Secret Life of Mark Marcus talk show.
6) This Fred's Head post is called "Tired of Windows Update Nagging? Tell Windows to Leave You Alone!"
7) This one is called "Microsoft Tool Helps Developers Create Programs Viewable by the Visually Impaired"
8) If you want to learn to use VoiceOver and the Mac, you can buy the Mac Academy Workbook and Study Guide from HandyTech for $75 on cd.
9) Kathy Ann Murtha sells her three-hour seminar on What's New in Word and Outlook 2010 for $150, and will answer buyers' questions.
10) This Fred's Head posting is called Add Universal Keyboard Shortcuts to Windows Media Player.
11) This one, from Gizmo, is called "Free Acronis Drive Monitor Warns You Of Impending Hard Drive Failure".
12) And this one is "Updated: Gizmo's Freeware Spyware Removal Guide"
13) Hopefully, this is accessible: "This Top Windows Tweak Tool is Now Free"
14) A new version 1.83 of The vOICe Learning Edition is available. The program allows you to understand pictures as sound patterns. The executable can be downloaded from the direct URL:
15) Here is a podcast on using the Miranda insteant message client with Window-Eyes 7.2.
16) Mark Taylor will be busy on Saturday, 26 June, as he announces a second talk show, "Taking Calls on Mobile GEO 2.5" at 19:00 GMT.
17) ABISee, Inc. will give a $500 Compaq Presario Notebook, while supplies last, to anybody who buys their portable low-vision reading device, the Zoom-Twix, by the end of July.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2010.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |