Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 262
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement:
What distinguishes NetECHO from any other web browser today is that it does not require a PC or mobile phone, web browser, or screenreader in order to use the application. Amazed? We were too. To subscribe to the NetECHO service, or to obtain more information about it, including a complete 45 minute audio podcast demonstration of NetEcho given by Flying Blind, LLC founder Larry Lewis, visit us today at www.flying-blind.com.
1) The Mac-cessibility Network is a good site to follow for news about all things Apple and accessibility.
Their latest Mac-Cessibility Round Table podcast discusses the new iPhone upgrade and operating system.
2) Apple announces the Release of Mac OS X 10.6.4 with Braille Display Improvements and more.
3) From Fred's Head, we learn of a site that lets you look up products on Amazon by size to see if they fit your space.
4) This Fred's Head post is called "Burn CD Images with ISOBuddy".
5) Tek Talk will feature the latest about the Victor Reader Stream, on GMT Tuesday 22 June at 00:00.
6) Jamal Mazrui has updated his JAWS scripts for the Thunderbird e-mail client to version 2.6. These scripts come highly recommended and make Thunderbird a viable e-mail program to use for JAWS users.
He has also upgraded his FSMax scripts for Firefox:
And IEMax scripts for Internet Explorer:
To version 1.3, making various fixes and updating the 35 Web Client utilities which give users easy access to a range of web-based information. All these scripts now work with 64-bit Windows 7.
7) Humanware announces a free upgrade for BrailleNote Apex and mPower users: KeySoft 9.0.2 for BrailleNote Apex and KeySoft 8.0 build 21 for mPower.
8) Kathy Ann Murtha is holding a $150 three-hour seminar on What's New in Microsoft Word and Outlook 2010 on GMT Monday, 21 June at 23:00
9) The recent online Book Sense seminar is now available for download.
Worksheets to accompany it can be had here:
10) GW Micro announces that the price of the Portable SenseView magnifier has just dropped $100 to $695!
11) The Floss manuals site contains 49 manuals for different programs and projects, including Firefox and Audacity as well as many I've never heard of. Jamal Mazrui has converted the manuals on the site to text and put all the manuals into an archive.
12) The Equipment Solutions Specialist Team at Vision Australia have begun producing podcasts. they have two series so far:using Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) with VoiceOver
Using the iPhone 3GS and the iPod Touch 3rd generation with VoiceOver
13) GW Micro has reduced the price of the Voice Sense to $1,995.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at email@example.com. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2010.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |