Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 195
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
1) This Fred's Head Companion post lists sources for accessible computer games.
2) This one discusses lowvision.com, an online resource center for people with low vision.
3) If you want to send e-mail without revealing your real address to people to avoid the accumulation of spam, here is a free web service to make it possible.
4) Serotek chat #3 discusses accessing television via the computer. You can listen to the discussion and find the related links here:
5) Speaking of Serotek, they are availing themselves of their seventh birthday to offer some sales. If you buy during the week of 12-22 February, you get a 25% discount on software sales of $399 or more, with an extended month of service on the System Access Mobile Network available.
6) Jamal Mazrui has assembled online documentation for the statistics package known as R and put it in a downloadable archive:
7) this useful post to the Gw Micro blog is called Working with the Keyboard in Microsoft Word
8) The latest updates to the KNFB Reader will be the topic for the free online Accessible World training coming up on GMGT Tuesday 17 February at 01:00. Versions of the software for both blind and learning disabled users exist.
9) Speaking of Tek Talk, if you have a computer question of any sort for which you would like an answer, a team will be answering questions from individuals during the Tek Talk program to air on GMT 24 February (Stateside Monday evening, 23 February.) In order that questions get proper consideration and research, you need to submit them in advance. To do this, put the words 'computer forum" in the subject line of an e-mail message containing the question and send it to
10) Main Menu Live, an online talk show about technology, returns to ACBRadio on GMT Wednesdays at 02:00. This new version of the program is not tied to the Main Menu program on technology, which always airs one hour earlier, though often questions and topics from the earlier program will be discussed on Main Menu Live. Remember also that these programs are then re-broadcast every three hours for the next 24 hours.
11) EASI will offer a free public webinar on Bookshare, focusing on its improving services to students and academic institutions, on GMT Thursday, 19 February at 19:00. (That's 2:00 Eastern time that day.) Pre-register to get a seat and access to the later recording.
12) New Horizons is a weekly program produced by Blind Citizens Australia. All past editions of New Horizons can be heard by going to
13) Adobe Audition is a $300 sophisticated sound editor, which has heretofore been quite inaccessible. Now, the Window-Eyes scripting capability has been brought to bear to make it much more user-friendly.
14) window-Eyes scripting is also being applied to the Miranda instant messaging program, to make its text chat functions more accessible.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Tidbits and Flying Blind, LLC E-Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of every E-News titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the tidbits website (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, but I know a lot of people don't understand many of the items because little explanation is given. If a Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I'll answer as time, knowledge and inclination permit.
Visit the Tidbits page at http://www.topdotenterprises.com/tidbits.htm where you can subscribe to the RSS feed and grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at email@example.com.
People can subscribe to Tidbits via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (Make sure to get all 4 T's into the address!)
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |