Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, March 26, 2014 - Volume 450
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Two Gently Used Romeo 25 Braille Embossers for $1,100.00 USD Each!!!
Flying Blind, LLC is pleased to offer Two Romeo 25 Braille Embossers for $1,100.00 USD Each!!! That's right. That's over $1,400.00 USD off of their suggested retail value!!! Manufactured by Enabling Technologies, the leading pioneer of Braille embossers, these units showcase decades of Braille embossing know-how at an incredibly affordable price. These rugged workhorses have been used for less than 10 hours each and are in fantastic condition. Each unit ships with a USB converter, allowing for seamless connectivity with your computer or notetaker for instantaneous hardcopy Braille! Price also includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States, providing an additional $70.00 USD value. To be the first to secure one or both of these units, please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information, or to order this product offline, email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today! And don't forget that our March Madness Specials end on Monday, March 31st, at which time we'll be drawing a lucky winner for that BookSense XT, so buy one of these embossers, and enter your chance to win!!!
Buy Now - One Gently Used Romeo 25 Braille Embosser for $1,100.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
1) Top Dot is collaborating with a small group which may be able to provide a very small number of Braille devices to competent blind people. If you might be interested in learning about this, grab the document below and follow the instructions it contains:
2) A lot of information is available on happenings and announcements at the recent CSUN conference. Some of these links may contain duplicate information. A good place to start investigating the Conference might be The 2014 Great Big List of Resources from the CSUN Disabilities and Technology Conference:
3A) Two organizations conducted many interviews of CSUN conference exhibitors and others. Four packages of interviews, a few specials, and a pre-conference package can all be found at Serotalk:
3B) While many interviews can also be found on the BlindBargains audio page:
4) Presentations, slides, and resource sheet for a presentation on 3D printing here:
5) And finally, lots of videos of conference presentations and interviews with presenters and exhibitors here:
6) You can download demos of the upcoming versions of Dolphin Guide and SuperNova:
7) Tthis blog post from WebAim is called "Accessibility Lipstick on a Usability Pig":
8) TurboTax offers Tax Tips for the Blind:
9) Updates to the JAWS Skype scripts have been posted, providing faster Alt + Arrows / Numbers for reading chats, and several other changes:
10) NVDA version 2014.1 has passed through its testing phase whose releases we announced earlier, and has now been released:
11) Learn Tips for Using Outlook 2010 with JAWS for Windows on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 1 April at 00:00:
12) 7-128 Software has released the 2014 edition of Top Web Sites for Gamers Who Are Blind:
13) Samsung is releasing three adaptive products to work with the Galaxy Core Advance: A ScanStand for automatically reading print, an Ultrasonic Cover for detecting objects, and a labeling system. The press release says the add-ons for the Android phone are now available:
14) And we'll end with two weeks worth of audio to make up for last week:
Eyes on Success Brings Us:
A) 1411 Using Band-in-a-Box with JAWS (March 12, 2014)
B) Talking Information Center Radio Reading Service (March 19, 2014)
C) And GW SocialEyes for FaceBook Users (March 26, 2014)
BGZ Makes Available:
D) A Demonstration of the Cuisinart SS-700 Single Serve Brewing System:
E) TI84 Plus Talking Graphing Calculator:
F) Airport Travel Tips:
G) And Gaming Glimpse: Grand Theft Auto V Accessibility Review:
The Big List From AppleVis Starts With:
H) Free Up Hard Drive Space on your Mac with Disk Cleaner Pro:
I) Accessible Movie Editing on Your iOS Device With Apple's iMovie App:
J) ECHO - Hear to Play: Navigate this iOS Game With Just Your Hearing and the Accelerometer:
K) Exploring Some of the Advanced Features of Apple's iMovie App for iOS:
L) FlightView Elite: Real-Time Flight Tracking on your iOS Device:
M) A Quick Look at Some of What's New and Changed for Blind and Low Vision Users in iOS 7.1:
N) Quick Tip: A Workaround for the Bluetooth Keyboard Problem Introduced in iOS 7.1:
O) Quick Tip: Apple TV 6.1 Makes it Easy to Hide Unwanted Channels:
P) AppleVis Extra #20: Umano:
Q) And Quick Tip: How To Activate Siri Without Using The Home Button:
R) The new Tech Doctor Podcast is about CSUN 2014:
S) And finally, A Top Tech Tidbit from BlindPodcaster on the Native Music Play App from Google:
SUBSCRIBE: Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: http://bit.ly/1irUr9E. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.
FACEBOOK: Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
YOUTUBE: If audio / video is more your style, then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
RSS FEED: If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using: http://www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml.
ONLINE STORE: Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: http://www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
TEXT-ONLY: Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
QUESTIONS: Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVE: Visit the 2014 Tidbits Archive at: http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2014.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT: Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.***************************************