Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, January 23, 2014 - Volume 441
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished BrailleNote Apex QT 18-Cell Notetaker with QWERTY-Style Keyboard Plus Concise Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus for $2,100.00 USD
Flying Blind, LLC is pleased to offer one fortunate user a gently used BrailleNote Apex 18-Cell notetaker with QWERTY-Style Keyboard for $2,100.00 USD. This unit has the Concise Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus Applications preinstalled, giving one lucky user an over $2,000.00 USD savings. The BrailleNote family of products have been setting standards for intuitive, powerful, and portable information management for the past 14 years. This small yet robust solution provides endless possibilities and opportunities for that one person wishing to give this unit a good home. Free shipping within the 48 Continental United States. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve, basis. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For additional questions, or to purchase this product offline, email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.
Buy Now - One Refurbished BrailleNote Apex QT 18-Cell Notetaker with QWERTY-Style Keyboard Plus Concise Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus for $2,100.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
1) You can now pay $99 for the chance to take a certification test in Window-Eyes:
2) VICT Consultancy's two applications for NVDA, vTurbo and vMouse, are now available as free downloads:
3) EASI will present a Free Webinar: Opportunities in Computing and IT Fields for People with Disabilities, on GMT Thursday 13 February at 19:00:
4) The out-of-the-box experience for deaf-blind Android users is apparently not too good:
5) The Serotek CEO offers A Toast to GW Micro:
6) In case you're curious or pondering making the pilgrimage to the annual CSUN conference 19-21 March, 2014, here is the schedule of sessions:
7) Microsoft has published in PDF format a new expert guide to mastering Windows 8.1:
8) MacWorld UK answers the question: "Which iPad should you buy: What's the difference between an iPad mini and a full sized iPad?":
9) Find out what apps and device were voted the the AppleVis Golden Apples of 2013:
10) GW Micro is offering two free webinars to introduce new users to Window-Eyes, on GMT Wednesday, 22 January, at 16:30 and 19:00. Enter your first and last name as the user, and newcustomer2014 as the password in this meeting room to attend:
11) Listen to experiences gleaned at the recent Consumer Electronics show on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 28 January at 01:00:
12) Visit the IRS Accessibility Page for accessible tax forms and information:
13) And in a light week for audio content:
A) I'm producing this late enough to direct you to Serotalk Podcast 184:
B) Eyes on Success #1404 discusses life as the partner of a blind person:
C) And learn about changing keyboards in Android from Blind Podcaster:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************