Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, October 10, 2013 - Volume 426
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: TypeAbility: Flying Blind, LLC's Answer for Improving Keyboarding Skills!!!
This week serves as a gentle reminder to all of us that high-tech AdapTech skills are most optimal when we have the best keyboarding skills to empower our efforts. At Flying Blind, LLC independence and efficiency are at the heart of AdapTech task completion. If you are a service provider or teacher of the vision impaired wishing to provide interactive keyboard instruction to your consumers, or if you are a consumer wishing to either learn or improve your own keyboarding skills, then the affordable and robust TypeAbility keyboarding tutorial package is for you. Visit this link http://youtu.be/0I2fT5D_5AI to view an in depth demonstration of TypeAbility on YouTube conducted by Larry Lewis of Flying Blind, LLC. You can also drop by the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at http://www.flying-blind.com/store/assistive-technologies/learning/typeability-keyboard-instruction-software-for-jaws-and-magic.html to download the free TypeAbility demo, as well as view pricing for both single user and site licensing for this one-of-a-kind tutorial package. If you have additional questions or would like to order TypeAbility offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.
Buy Now - TypeAbility: Keyboard Instruction Software for JAWS and Magic:
1) Learn about the current capabilities of the increasingly-popular free screen reader NVDA, as well as the add-ons that add to its feature set, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday 15 October:
2) This new AppleVis Guide is entitled "Importing BRF files to the BARD Mobile App using Dropbox":
3) The VHA Section 508 training team has developed a series of innovative tutorials that explain accessibility barriers of Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 and provide solutions that address them:
4) Microsoft has publicly stated that its Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus program is not as robust as it was once claimed to be:
5) This is a tutorial on YouTube, walking you through the various functionalities of the service:
6. From Digital Trends, we learn "How to Record Calls on an iPhone":
7) Here are "7 Skype Tips for Power Users":
A recording of the recent CAVICast on Skype is now available here:
And development continues on the JAWS scripts for Skype with the release of scripts for Skype 6.9 and some ongoing troubleshooting:
8) Progress continues on development of JFW version 15, with some enhancements in web and Braille access and considerable access to Windows 8:
9) Mailing lists concerning two popular Twitter clients are now hosted on the Freelists site.
The list for discussing The Qube:
And Chicken Nugget
10) Ever wondered, "How Can I Download an Entire Web Site?":
11) A free Webinar on ZoomText Mac's WebReader will take place, with sessions on Wednesday 16 and 30 October at 16:00 GMT. A video demonstration is also available:
12) The October 2013 issue of AccessWorld gives us more information about Smith-Kettlewell Institute, reviews of some newly updated OCR programs, an article about employment resources for people with vision loss, and more:
13) Moving to audio content, there are a lot of podcasts this week on the AppleVis site. Use heading navigation in most browsers to peruse the list at:
Jonathan Mosen appears on Eyes on Success
AccessTalk Podcast 19 Addresses the Surface Pro 2, Kindle HDX, Google, And the Digital Divide:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************