Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, June 20, 2013 - Volume 410
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Over 20 New Flying Blind, LLC Endorsed AdapTech Products Added to the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store!!!
That's right we've added some entirely new lines of both high tech adaptech equipment as well as some more essential lifestyle items that you'll wonder how you ever lived without. So whether you're already in need of a new piece of technology to help you enjoy all of that data that the world now has to offer, or you have a daily living / orientation / mobility need, be sure to check out these product additions, and rest assured that with every purchase you'll be receiving the most comprehensive adaptive technology sales and support service that this industry has to offer. We're especially pleased to announce that the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store will now offer all of our weekly refurbished product specials for purchase directly online. We've implemented a system which tracks our refurbished product inventory and will notify you upon attempted purchase if a particular item has already been sold. Further, you can also now purchase any refurbished product advertised within any Flying Blind, LLC Publication securely and effortlessly, right from within the newsletter itself. We'll be adding additional products over the coming weeks so be sure to check back often. Flying Blind, LLC Online Store: http://www.flying-blind.com/store.html. Empowerment through technology.
1) These first two items are time-sensitive. The NLS Braille Summit will take place June 19-21. Sessions will be streamed live on 20 and 21 June at:
2) The petition in support of the treaty on accessible books for people who are blind that is located on the White House website is finally accessible to people who are blind. Previously, it was paradoxically nearly impossible for a blind person to sign it independently. The deadline for gathering signatures is Friday, 21 June, and the organizers hope for a rather lofty number of signatures. Some of the treaty language being proposed would worsen access to books by blind people living in the US, while the language proposed here would increase access to books by people throughout the world.
This TechDirt post includes a video in which a Blind Law School Dean Explains Why We Need The WIPO Copyright Treaty:
3) AI Squared is offering four free one-hour webinars concerning ZoomText. All are on Tuesdays at 15:00 GMT:
Introduction to the ZoomText Mac Reading tool, Tuesday, 25 June:
Introduction to ZoomText for Windows, Tuesday, 9 July,
ZoomText ImageReader Advanced Tips, Tuesday, 16 July
Introduction to ZoomText University
4) Learn about the new Accessible Kindle iOS app on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 18 June at 00:00.
5) The Cisco academy for the Vision impaired is running a series of courses for Semester 2 2013. You can find information about these courses at:
6) This well-constructed post is called "An Objective Look: iOS vs Android for the Visually Impaired:"
7) Read about a variety of tech topics in recent installments of David Woodbridge Technology Blog:
8) In case you missed the "Record Tech Demos like a Pro" webinar, you can purchase it for the same $19.95 price and receive answers to questions after you listen to the recording.
9) Solara is an epic fantasy strategy game for the iPhone and iPad whose developer has added VoiceOver accessibility. This AppleVis post with over 90 resulting comments discusses the app and its accessibility:
10) Chicken Nugget is a $15 Twitter client designed for use by the blind. You can download a demo or purchase it:
11) And here are this week's podcasts.
SeroTalk Podcast 159:
Triple Click Home, Episode 19
Eyes on Success: 1325 Home Repair and Woodworking with Little or No Vision
1324 Using Sonar with NVDA
From Mystic Place Blog and Podcast, a demonstration of Chicken Nugget
Start is back, an accessible application that brings the Windows 7 start menu back to Windows 8
From Blind Geek Zone, A Guide to Digital Recorders
And finally, from AppleVis:
Battery Monitor: View all of the Information that you Could Ever Want About the Battery in Your MacBook Pro or Air
A Look at Pro Tools for the Mac: Part 1
A Look at Pro Tools for the Mac: Part 2
Sound Like a Pop Star with Auto-Tune Star for iOS
A Guide for Mac Users on How to Remap the Keyboard in a Virtual Machine to Best Work with a Windows Screen Reader
LookTel VoiceOver Tutorial Revisited: an App to Help Those New to Using VoiceOver and iOS
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************