Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 289
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement: E-Blink Showcase Presents One VoiceNote QT Notetaker for USD $1,100.00!
Just in time to be a last minute stocking stuffer we're offering a fantastic bargain courtesy of the world's most famous family of notetakers. This notetaker with a computer-style keyboard lists for approximately USD $2,000.00. The VoiceNote QT enables you to create documents, schedule addresses, manage contacts and e-mail, browse the internet, and much more. And, it's available at close to a 50% discount off of its suggested retail price. If interested, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107. Price includes shipping within the Continental United States. Prices include shipping & handling within the continental (48 contiguous) United States. Please e-mail email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 for additional details. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis.
1) Four new DAISY training books, and mp3 files, on JAWS are now available: Excel Column and Row Headers, Settings Center, New in JAWS 12, Text Analyzer, New in JAWS 12, and Virtual Ribbon Menus, New in JAWS 12. If you have JAWS 12 you can use check for updates. People with earlier versions of JAWS or even people who don't have JAWS can download them from
2) HIMS, Inc announces upgrades to version 2.2 of the Booksense products. This upgrade fixes lots of bugs and adds some audio functionality.
3) HIMS also offers trade-in deals for their notetakers and DAISY book reader, allowing you to trade existing products for discounts.
4) The description of SeroTalk Tech Chat 82is, appropriately, Android Accessibility, One Step Forward, Two Steps Back!
5) Version 2 of the free iBlink Radio app for the Apple i-devices is now available from Serotek. With an improved interface and more content, this app brings together a vast number of radio stations, Radio Reading Services and podcasts produced by or for the blind.
6) SkypeTalking, a Skype add-on that adds accessibility regardless of your screen reader, is up to public beta version 0.9.
7) This Fred's Head post is entitled Share Files on Twitter, and gives several resources for doing so.
8) This Fred's Head compendium of information regarding braille translation software contains information about several options, including programs that probably don't run on the latest computers. It includes listings for programs enabling people to turn the PC keyboard into a Perkins-style six-key keyboard, braille music translation software, and other resources.
9) A new bug-fix release of Orca, which gives access to the Gnome graphical desktop in Linux, is available.
10) Openbook 9.0.1305, a hotfix, has been released. It can be installed over other version 9 installations.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2010.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |