Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, August 28, 2014 - Volume 472
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Practically New Focus 40 Blue Refreshable Braille Display for $2,195.00 USD!!!
Flying Blind, LLC is pleased to offer one fortunate user a gently used Focus 40 Blue Refreshable Braille Display manufactured by Freedom Scientific. This unit has just under a year left on its manufacturer's warranty, and is in fantastic shape! This is a fantastic solution for JAWS users also wishing to access tablets and smartphones. This Focus is just waiting to be given a new home with a responsible user who is looking for an amazing bargain on a responsive display which touts both versatility and efficiency. Price includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States, giving you close to a 25% discount off its standard list price. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To be the first to secure this Focus as a key player in your AdapTech journey, please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information, or to order this product offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today!
Buy Now - One Practically New Focus 40 Blue Refreshable Braille Display for $2,195.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
1) Well, Marco threw in the towel on his 30-day immersion into Android on day 18 and went back to iOS:
2) Meanwhile, this sighted Android user spent a month with an iPhone, and shares his impressions of hardware and software:
3) The Summer 2014 edition of "508 XPress" has articles on Avoiding Section 508 Violations, Efficient Strategies for Non-Visual Mobile Navigation, and more:
4) If you have reason to use the command line, this article discusses how to Use Tab Completion to Type Commands Faster on Any Operating System:
5) Here we have the post "Working with Web 2.0 Applications: A Blind User's Review":
6) And here are some tutorials for working with Google Docs and Google Drive:
7) This post, from Paths to Literacy, lists the author's preferred apps that support the development of Orientation and Mobility skills for children and youth who are blind or visually impaired, as well as those who are deaf-blind:
8) In case you're asking yourself if you should switch to a no-contract phone carrier, this post and its numerous comments might help you with the decision:
9) CNET offers ideas on "How to improve battery life on any mobile device":
10) From Computerworld comes, "16 Tips for Mac Users Who Must Use Windows":
11) NVDA 2014.3RC1 hs been released, with lots of new features for Microsoft Office users. this is a release candidate, which means that if no glaring problems surface, this will be identical to the final release of the upgrade:
12A) Doug Lee continues to upgrade the JAWS scripts for Skype. Here is a direct link to version 6.18 of the Skype 6 scripts:
12B) Here is a 12-minute audio description of the scripts:
13) Doug Lee is also developing JAWS scripts and NVDA add-ons for Virtual Audio Cable. This is an upgrade to the NVDA add-on:
14) The Vario Ultra Braille devices have not shipped yet, but the manual is now available:
15) With Cloud storage prices becoming more competetive, Dropbox has lowered storage prices and added some features to its paid version:
Turning to audio, and some video:
16A) Eyes on Success 1435 addresses Macular Degeneration and Low Vision Support Groups:
16B) This YouTube video was a presentation to a YouTube conference: "Going Screenless with Youtube: How blind users experience this service":
16C) I'm actually preparing Tidbits late enough this week to be able to include the latest Serotalk Podcast, #208:
16D) The latest Media Access Australia podcast, with accompanying transcript, covers Australia's Braille OwnFone: 3D-printed features, customisation, usability and more:
And from AppleVis:
16E) Listen to A Review of the HMDX JAM Classic Bluetooth Speaker:
16F) And Send Invoices and Estimates, Track Time and Capture Expenses with FreshBooks Cloud Accounting for iOS:
SUBSCRIBE: Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: http://bit.ly/1irUr9E. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.
FACEBOOK: Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
YOUTUBE: If audio / video is more your style, then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
RSS FEED: If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using: http://www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml.
ONLINE STORE: Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: http://www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
QUESTIONS: Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVE: Visit the 2014 Tidbits Archive at: http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2014.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT: Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: email@example.com.***************************************