Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, December 26, 2013 - Volume 437
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One (1) Gently Used BrailleNote Apex BT 32 Cell Notetaker with GPS for $3,000.00 USDFlying Blind, LLC is pleased and excited to have a BrailleNote Apex BT 32 Cell Notetaker with GPS Application including 2013 maps for sale this week for only $3,000.00 USD! This unit includes a BrailleNote GPS Receiver and Application valued at $1,500.00 USD. This unit with accessories retails for approximately $7,000.00 USD. But purchase them this week and take advantage of an over 60% discount - that's right - an approximate savings of $4,000.00 USD!!! The BrailleNote name is synonymous with excellence and innovation, and the Apex continues to set standards that other notetakers have yet to meet. This unit has been fully tested and is in excellent condition. It's robust yet intuitive functionality will offer limitless notetaking, navigation, and portable information management to whomever receives it. This is a single unit, sold only in combination with the aforementioned accessories, and will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. Price includes shipping anywhere within the continental United States. To be the first to secure this unit and start out 2014 with an amazing AdapTech Bargain please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information, or to order this product offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today!
1) We start a fairly slow news week in this last issue for 2013 with this treat for baseball fans. Vin Scully sings "Take me Out to the Ballgame" at Wrigley Field in honor of Harry Carey. This came from the Twitter account @VinScullyTweet, which might be worth a follow!
2) LowVisionRants.com posts blogs, podcasts, and videos that will center on the problems of people who have limited vision, and provide helpful hints and tricks to overcome those hurdles.
3) I haven't checked this out, but Povidi claims to have an Accessible Google Calendar site.
4) The WebAIM Project welcomes people to complete its Screen Reader User Survey #5 by January 15. These are popular questionaires, and the results from previous years, still available, are interesting:
5) Read about Good CCTV usage techniques from The Cast Blog:
6) Also for your reading pleasure, "The Paranoid's Guide to Protecting Your Identity While Traveling."
7) Keysoft version 9.4 for the Apex family of products offers the ability to read and write Nemeth code so students can do math more independently, and the ability to read PowerPoint files.
8) There's a mailing list for developers of iOS apps who are themselves blind. To join, send a blank message to:
9A) Cathy Anne Murtha now offers $90 textbooks on PowerPoint 2013 with JFW or with Window-Eyes:
9B) And Windows 8.1 with JFW or with Window-Eyes:
During the rest of 2013, if you enter the word Christmas in the coupon field on her shopping site, you save 20% on textbooks.
10A) The Freedom Scientific training department offers its schedule of free webinars for the first part of 2014:
10B) And paid webinars:
11) And speaking of Freedom Scientific, FSCast #85 consists of an interview with the company's director of technical support:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************