Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, September 12, 2013 - Volume 422
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display with One Year Manufacturer's Warranty for $2,145.00 USD !!!
Flying Blind, LLC is most pleased to offer a gently used Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display with one year manufacturer's warranty for approximately $900.00 USD off of its suggested list price. This state-of-the-art display offers USB and Bluetooth access to today's PCs, Macs, Tablets, and Mobile Phones, and all at an unbeatable price. Don't let the 40 cells fool you, this display's sleek design also makes it a portable companion for the mobile phone user on the go. It's ergonomic Braille input keys allow for effortless, accurate, and speedy Braille entry into today's touch screen tablets and cell phones, and its perfectly placed thumb-keys make navigating through the most complex applications as easy as can be. The only bad news is that there's only one of these tactile treasures available for purchase this week. Price includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States. This unit will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information or to order this product offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.
Buy Now - One Refurbished Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display with One Year Manufacturer's Warranty for $2,145.00 USD:
1) Version 6.0 of the Plextalk Pocket offers a better voice and text searching capability:
2) Introduction to Web Accessibility is an online course from Google that introduces tools and techniques for web developers to easily ensure that websites are more accessible. It runs from September 17-30:
3) AndreasHead is a Wiki on Android accessibility:
4) The September 2013 issue of AccessWorld offers reviews of the I.D. Mate Quest Talking Bar Code Scanner from Envision America, CDesk from Adaptive Voice, and the ScanJig Portable Document Scanner, as well as information about Four Emerging Vision-Enhancing Technologies and more about the Smith-Kettlewell Institute:
5) Sprint has launched the Kyocera Kona, a flip Phone with Verbal Translation of Internet Browsing and other accessibility features for the blind:
6) If you really want to, you can Watch the iPhone Event Videos for iPhone 5s & iPhone 5c:
7) GW Micro has announced the release of Window-Eyes 8.3, a maintenance update that includes support for Windows 8.1, better support for Windows 8 modern apps, provides numerous speed improvements, and enhances the Window-Eyes 8 feature set.
8) You can Pre-Order The Old Hat Guide To iPhone Accessibility, iOS7 Edition for $4.95 until 15 October:
9) It's time again for a public beta cycle for the upcoming version of JAWS. JAWS 15 will feature touch navigation in Windows 8, new Vocalizer Expressive synthesizers for many languages, and other fixes and enhancements:
10) In audio, we'll have lots of podcasts about iOS 7 to report on when it is released next week. For now:
Robert Carter tells us about his favorite podcasts:
Eyes on Success #1337, Jamming with Other Musicians over the Internet:
NCBI Podcast #16 Features Sendero GPS, the Serotek Socialiser, and more:
And good collections of podcasts on Blind Geek Zone:
And a few on AppleVis:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************