Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, July 25, 2013 - Volume 415
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished Alva Satellite 570 Refreshable Braille Terminal for $1,800.00 USD !!!
Flying Blind, LLC has come into possession of yet another of these 70 Cell Refreshable Braille gems for thousands of dollars off of its suggested list price. This Braille display is the perfect desktop companion for Macintosh, 32 bit PC, and Linux systems, and all while boasting the high quality that is synonymous with the ALVA name at a price that is $1,200.00 USD less than other Braille displays that have 40% less Braille cells. The ALVA Satellite has been the display of choice for many Federal agencies and large corporations for over a decade. This unit is in fantastic condition and ships with an optional backpack, all accessories, and documentation. Price includes shipping within the Continental United States. This unit will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information or to order this product offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.
Buy Now - One Refurbished Alva Satellite 570 Refreshable Braille Terminal for $1,800.00 USD:
1) This thought-provoking article by Chris Hofstader is called "The Death Of Screen Reader Innovation":
2) Learn about Earl, a free program with a $9.95/month subscription fee which lets people listen to newspapers very easily in a human-sounding voice, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 30 July at 00:00.
3) AI Squared has a new training program, called ZoomText University.
4) The author of the iPads for Special Needs book has launched a free course, "Accessibility Features on the iPad." It covers VoiceOver, Guided Access and Assistive Touch.
5) The Perkins eLearning site brings together the range of web-based content available through the Perkins School for the Blind, for teachers, families, and others interested in the education of children who are blind or visually impaired, including those with deafblindness or additional disabilities:
6) The people at Executive Products have come out with a custom case to carry the Braille Edge 40 from HIMS:
7) A third party has created a desktop App for the Blindy TV service that broadcasts several stations of described tv.
8) Keysoft 9.3 for the Apex products from HumanWare is now available and offers better web navigation, opening of modern Word documents and the ability to use the VoiceNote to control the iPhone.
9) In audio and podcasts:
CAVI has a presentation about their upcoming courses that start in August.
Eyes on Success #1330 deals with web accessibility.
George McKenzie of Horizons for the Blind has posted a review of the Seeing Assistant-Home Lite App for iPhone on their website:
FromApplevis, 2 iOS Apps to Keep You Up-To-Date with the Latest News:
Taking Blind Square for a Walk:
And from BGZ: MBraille Podcast Part1
MBraille Podcast Part2
MBraille Podcast Part2 Update
A quick tip on how to see all SAPI 5 voices on 64 bit versions of Windows Vista and Above:
BGZ Podcast 70: "Rickster Goes to the Convention"
BlindSquare GPS Walking Demo:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************