Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, July 11, 2013 - Volume 413
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished 1st Generation Brailliant 32 Cell Braille Display for $1,200.00 USD!!!
That's right! We have one refurbished 1st Generation Brailliant 32 Cell Braille display at a fantastic price. This unit comes with a three month warranty and is the perfect companion for the PC or Mac user wishing to marry portability with a sleek yet rugged design. The Brailliant 32 allows you to connect via USB or Bluetooth to all of today's desktop and laptop PCs and Macintosh computers using any of today's commercially available screenreaders. This unit is in fantastic condition and in need of a good home. Price includes shipping within the 48 continental United States. To snatch up this bargain while it's still available feel free to use the link below. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call +1 (216) 381-8107 if you have any questions about the Brailliant or would prefer to purchase it via telephone. This unit will be sold on a first come, first serve basis.
Buy Now - One Refurbished 1st Generation Brailliant 32 Cell Braille Display for $1,200.00 USD:
1) We'll start with podcasts for a change, as there aren't many this round:
AppleVis Extra #13: MBraille:
Two iOS Apps From Pzizz that Could Improve Your Sleep and Re-energize you During the Day:
MBraille: Use Braille to Enter Text on your iOS Device
From Cool Blind Tech:
CBT#55, Seeing Eye GPS Demo
And an SPN Special:
The State of Technology, with Mike Calvo:
2) From the blog "A Blind Man's Journey" comes "Because Somebody Gotta Be the Goat: My initial thoughts on Seeing Eye GPS":
3) The July 2013 Edition of AccessWorld includes "Android's Big Step Forward: A Review of the Screen Enhancement Features of Android 4.2.2," "A Review of the TapTapSee, CamFind, and Talking Goggles Object Identification Apps for the iPhone," "Working with Text and VoiceOver on a Mac," "An Overview of New Features and Bug Fixes in Victor Reader Stream Version 4.1.6 from HumanWare," "An Evaluation of the RAY G300, an Android-based Smartphone Designed for the Blind and Visually Impaired," "AFB AccessNote Notetaker App Updated", and more:
4) Socializer, the GW Micro App that provides a consistent interface to Facebook, is now shipping for the introductory price of $25 per year:
5) Cast your vote on most wanted Seeing Eye GPS features:
6) Recent how-to guides added to the AppleVis site include:
Saving Streaming Station Link To Home Screen:
And get accessible Facebook and notifications on your iPhone with no app:
7) From MacWorld UK we glean "20 Computer Terms Every Mac User Should Know":
8) From the "Switch to Mac" series, MacWorld gives us "Bring your hardware with you."
9) Learn about the many new features in Keysoft version 9.3 for the Apex products, which have come from requests by users, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 16 July at 00:00.
10) The mailing list for discussing and receiving announcements regarding The Qube, the popular PC-based Twitter client, has moved. To subscribe, send a blank message to:
11) PeopleFinder Lite uses Bluetooth signals, available in nearly every mobile device, to alert you of other PeopleFinder users within 30 to 100 feet. You choose if you want to be found or not. When you are alerted of other users in the vicinity, you have the option to text or call them.
12) CNET offers us "A Windows 8.1 Survivor's Guide: Hardware":
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************