Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, September 6, 2012 - Volume 369
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Gently Used Seika USB 40 Cell Braille Display for $1,450.00 USD!!!
The world's most inexpensive 40 cell Braille display just got a whole lot cheaper! Flying Blind, LLC has a gently used Seika 40 cell Braille display with USB connectivity that it is selling for $1,450.00, approximately $850.00 USD off its suggested list price! This unit is in fantastic shape and will meet all of your desktop needs. Price includes shipping within the continental United States, and this unit will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.
1) Have a listen to this hilarious and thought-provoking podcast from VICT Consultancy: BrailleNote Battery Scandal:
2) And VICT Consultancy has produced vTurbo for NVDA, a £2.99 (around $5.00) program which adds six capabilities to NVDA: Application specific settings, Voice profiles, Enhanced say-all mode, Read just text, Fast speech dictionary entry, and Smart Numlock function.
3) The Maccessibillity web site has been streamlined, eliminating outdated content and making the current content easier to locate.
4) It's that time of year again, when Freedom Scientific fills us in on the year's coming release of JAWS, this time, JAWS 14, on FSCast.
5) The latest Tech Doctor podcast features Anne Robertson who teaches the Mac in France.
6) The September, 2012 issue of AccessWorld features a review of the STEP textbook rental program, reviews of books on the iPhone from National Braille Press, a review of the new free screen reader for Blackberry, reviews of two pairs of glasses which purport to alert travelers to objects through vibration, and more.
7) Learn about the new Quest from Envision America on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 11 September at 00:00.
8) Lisa Salinger is starting a $50, six-week iPhone and iPod Basics class with the first session scheduled for 16:30 GMT on Saturday, 22 September. Another series may run on Tuesday nights stateside, on Wednesdays at 01:00 GMT. Prepayment is required. To learn more, write to:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************