Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, April 19, 2012 - Volume 349
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Training with Dean Martineau
Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training along with training on mainstream applications for today's most common hardware and software configurations, in English and Spanish, by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices. If you have a technology training need, please contact Dean at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also follow Dean on Twitter @deantopdot.
1) This Guardian article discusses accessibility problems with UK price-comparison sites.
2) Here are YouTube videos describing the use of the Victor Reader Stream.
And in English
3) Screen Reader Demos, Research and Resources is a well-researched article by Alistair Duggin in which he lists a wealth of articles discussing aspects of screen reader use, most related to creating accessible content.
4) This Accessible YouTube Guide from Fred's Head offers resources that will be new to many for making the experience of uploading and watching YouTube videos better with a screen reader.
5) And this Fred's Head post provides many resources for Braille Writer Repair
6) Learn about the Braille Pen on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 24 April at 00:00.
7) Students and faculty at North Carolina State University hope you will take their Diagram accessibility survey.
8) This is a collection of 2012 and 2011 IBM accessibility feature articles.
9) From the TechKnowMore blog of RNIB comes a post entitled Useful iOS Music Applications for Blind and Partially Sighted Musicians
10) Free videos for a new iPad apps programming course at Carnegie Mellon University are now available.
11) Recent AppleVis podcasts include:
TWiT Live: An iOS App For Fans of This Week in Tech
Vokul Revisited: Bigger and Better than Before
Exploring the Advanced Features of List Recorder: Part 1 - Recording Items
Exploring the Advanced Features of List Recorder: Part 2 - Exporting and Importing Lists and Their Data
Exploring the Advanced Features of List Recorder: Part 3 - Using Tilt Gestures to Operate the App
13) Recent info from the Gizmo site includes:
How to Report Spam.
How to Tell if a File is Malicious
How To Avoid Spam
A New Routine to Read News Using this Great App
How to Protect Your Online Privacyv http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-protect-your-online-privacy.htm
How to Tell If A Website Is Dangerous
How to Stay Safe While Online
How to Know If Your Computer Is Infected
How to Clean An Infected Computer
This Beta Online Organizer/Planner Shows Great Promise
Best Free PC Tune-up Utility
14) EASI will offer a free webinar on Saturday, 21 April at 18:00 GMT on Adaptech's Ongoing research, Knowledge transfer and Free and Inexpensive Adaptive Information and Communication technologies. http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed @ www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using www.flying-blind.com/feed.xml.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.***************************************