Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 327
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished BrailleStar 40 for USD $1,500.00!
Flying Blind, LLC is pleased to offer a gently used BrailleStar 40 refreshable Braille terminal manufactured by HandyTech. This Braille display of choice by numerous Federal employees who are blind offers the user state-of-the-art, crisp, concave Braille cells synonymous with HandyTech's commitment to excellence. It's built-in notetaking capability makes this device a perfect solution for those wishing to access a PC, or enter and review Braille information without being tethered to their computer. The device is in excellent condition, and has been reduced to 25% of its suggested list price. Free shipping is included for customers within the 48 continental United States, and this BrailleStar will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107.
1) Serotek is giving all Veterans with visual impairments lifetime memberships in the System Access Mobile Network, and is setting up dedicated forums for blinded veterans to share resources there.
2) OfficeConvert is a new set of utilities created by Jamal Mazrui to convert documents among a variety of file formats.
EasyEncode is a set of utilities for detecting and converting text files among common encodings.
3) Congenitally blind English speaking adults can earn $120 for taking part in a 4-8 hour online survey being conducted at MIT. For information email:
4) From Fred's Head, we learn about Open Culture, a site with lots of free courses, lectures, audio books, language courses, and more.
5) The Jobs for the Blind blog is a name that speaks for itself.
6) Richard Baldwin is looking for screen reader users to test the latest version of his drawing program for the blind,SVGDraw01 with AudioTac. It now works with NVDA, and he wants to know how it works with other screen readers.
7) DeWitt & Associates have created two two-hour $179 online courses for parents of children who use screen readers or screen magnifiers. For information, email:
8) Jackie McBride will offer a two-hour $50 online class on building a web site using Wordpress, to take place on 13 January, 2012 at 20:00 GMT. A Q&A session will follow the class, and students will receive a written textbook as well. Only ten students will be accepted in this class, but Jackie will probably offer additional sessions if there is sufficient interest, and may sell her textbook separately as well, so if you may have any interest in building a web site, this is an excellent resource. E-mail
9) Humanware held a webinar, Documents to Go using Keysoft 9.2. Here is the archive:
10) The new features of Keysoft 9.2 for the Apex family of products will be the topic on Tek Talk on GMT 22 November at 01:00.
11) The topic for Viewpoints program A-1145 is a comparison of iPhone and Android from a blind user perspective.
12) Latest additions to the gizmo site include: How to Search for Exactly What You Want with Google
Best Free RSS Reader-Aggregator
Quick and Easy Way to List All the Windows Updates Installed on Your System
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2011 Tidbits Archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2011.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.***************************************