Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 316
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement: Six (6) BrailleConnect32s for $2,000.00 USD Each!
Flying Blind, LLC is ecstatic to announce that it is currently offering six (6) refurbished, BrailleConnect 32 Braille terminals for the staggeringly low price of $2,000.00 USD each, that's $2,100.00 USD off of their suggested list prices. Each display is in fantastic working order and has been thoroughly tested prior to delivery. This sleek yet rugged Braille terminal offers enough Braille for PC and Macintosh use while providing enough portability for use with today's portables such as netbooks, tablets, and mobile phones! Each display comes with a 30 day warranty and all six units will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis. For more information email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107. (PC not included. Mobile phone not included.)
1) Here are a few recent additions to the Gizmo site. As always, none of these recommended programs has been tested for accessibility. they're looking for volunteers over there, so that's a facet somebody might want to add to the site: Best Free Folder Synchronization Utility
Best Free Music Player and Organizer
Bulk Convert Old Documents to the new Office 2007 Format
Best Free Audio / Video Format Conversion Program
Last Pass: 10 Outstanding Features
Best Free CD Recovery Utility
How to Stay Safe While Online
The Top 5 Video Streaming Websites
2) American Council of the Blind and Google are Conducting a Survey to Better Understand Computer Usage and Assistive Technology Patterns in the Blind Community. To take this by phone by mid'September, call 347-772-8355
3) Audiobuffs is a new mailing list to discuss audio production at the beginner and semi'professional level.
4) the Indiana Adaptive Technology Project produces weekly podcasts on technology for different persons.
5) A number of interviews covering the latest in technology have been posted to the Serotalk site.
6) EASI offers two fee-based courses in September: Creating and Repurposing More Accessible Content,
and Barrier-free Information Technology
7) Shane Davidson has had to reconfigure his site, so here are links to previously-announced iPhone podcasts that have changed: application review: ariadne gps for the iphone.
Application Review: Papaya Broadcaster
8) If you own an Apex device and have beenhaving trouble downloading or unpacking books from Bookshare, you can benefit from this hotfix. Users without the problem do not need it, as it only addresses this issue:
9) The Mac-cessibility Round Table Podcast #15 discusses the accessibillity of the Lion operating system, especially the enhancements to Voiceover.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at firstname.lastname@example.org. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at http://www.flying-blind.com/tidbits2011.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |